Project Definition Plan
The Project Definition Plan (PDP) highlights the features of the Stadium, Plaza and Stadium Park, the timeline for project delivery, the cost plan, the procurement strategy and the process to transition to operations.
In June 2011, the State Government committed to delivering a new major stadium for Perth. After reviewing the work of the Major Stadium Taskforce published in 2007 and considering the views of a wide range of stakeholders, the Government nominated Burswood Peninsula as its preferred site, and publicly committed to beginning construction by 2014, with the completed stadium to be ready for the start of the Australian Football League (AFL) season in 2018.
The Liberal-National Government’s decision to locate the new stadium on the Burswood Peninsula represents a long term commitment to a broader precinct development involving a range of complementary uses. Optus Stadium will form a permanent centrepiece for the redevelopment of the Burswood Peninsula on the Swan River. It will be one of the major sporting and entertainment venues for Perth and one of the major international sporting venues for Australia.
The purpose of the Project Definition Plan is to provide the basis for a decision to commence the delivery phase of the project. This Plan provides the level of definition required for the preparation of detailed documentation to take the project to market for tender. Accordingly, the Project Definition Plan confirms the endorsed parameters of the project, including their impact on cost, time program and scope.
The following key elements of the project are included in the Project Definition Plan:
- Master Plan for a sports precinct (including the transport solution and the staging and implementation strategy).
- Functional brief and accommodation schedule (the spatial requirements of the new Stadium and how areas within the facility will function and interrelate).
- Time program (the dates by which key milestones must be achieved to ensure project completion ready for the 2018 AFL season).
- Cost plan (that established the budget for the stadium and supporting sports precinct).
- Procurement strategy (how the stadium and sports precinct will be delivered).
- Financial analysis.